Monday, March 5, 2012

Approximately one week to go....

Wednesday, March 13th we start our trek around the U.S.  By the time we are done we will travel through at least twenty one states and log 8,000 miles.

We only changed one destination so far. After reading about the Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula, La. We'll be going there after Pensacola, FL. instead of Mississippi.  From there we'll go to Shreveport then on to Abilene, TX and back on track unless something else looks cool.

As we go we'll be taking pictures and doing a little review of each campground and area we visit. I can hardly wait!

Boring, but cool budget stuff......

I've gone through and created a budget and spreadsheet that reads the latest diesel fuel prices from a web interface in every state and updates my budget by adjusting my estimated fuel costs each day. Based on each start and end point I've automated the look up of miles and I put the type of terrain, either normal towing, mountain towing and no tow. Based on that, I use the miles, estimated MPG (based on terrain) and then calculate cost based on what state the fuel will be bought in.

I'd like to optimize it so that it will recommend what state to buy in based on proximity, need and price.
I also want to add the ability to put in campground recommendations based on some proximity to the desired travel distances.

I don't want this to be a mapping program, just a live budget tool that can be used by anyone interested in planning long trips.

Who knows, maybe I can sell this thing for $1.99 and become a millionaire :)

No comments:

Post a Comment